The talk that lasted.......

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Quite a number of hours.

It was surprising considering the seemingly innocuous way my mum said:
"Come in, I want to talk to you about something."
I was bracing myself for (yet) another lecture on the virtues of coming home early on a weekday and the sins of sleeping late = late for work (which I am guilty of most of the time), blah blah blah.
Best thing to do?
Take a deep breath and repeat the mantra: I will not argue with my mum this time.

Turned out differently.

The issues that I thought would surface were never the scope of the lecture/talk/conversation.
It was about my cousins.
It led to my father.
Then her.
Then my grandmother.
Followed by my grandfather (at this point of time when we were sort of reminiscing about my dearly departed grandfather, my mum almost choked while talking about the things she did for him and how he used to dote on her, trusted her to take care of him, and finally specifically calling for her in his final moments and giving her a thumbs up sign. -- I miss the old man so much suddenly...)
It concluded on a happier note, with my mum digging up a family index of sorts and telling me the future middle name for my son.
*A point to note: I was flipping through the index and I discovered something so freaky I almost shat in my pants. The last time it happened it was involuntary and I was probably below knee height. Apparently, one of my clan relative who has my namesake, being the eldest son, belonging in the same generation as me, married a lady with the same surname as my BB!!!!
FREAKY~~~~~~~

Went back to bed at the grand time of 0230.
Mind whirling from the events, the information and the fact that in the past, mum never bothered to reveal so much to me.
The gap that was there was slowly being bridged.
I'm not ashamed to say that in the past, I would've walked out within 15 min of my mum opening her mouth.
But nowadays, I just think of certain words.
Imparted to me by a certain someone.
Thank you BB.

0 comments: